Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Math With Preschoolers-Hats On Your Head

Jack Henry and I were watching Sesame Street the other day and there was a part of the show where they were playing "How Many Hats Can You Wear On Your Head?". Jack Henry thought it was hilarious so I had an idea.

Here is that portion of Sesame Street:


Bennett was over and the two of them were going wild so I put my idea to work. First, I had them watch that part of Sesame Street since Bennett hadn't seen it.


I then had them take turns wearing hats. I would have them count as I placed the hat on their head. After a few hats I would ask "how many hats will he have on his head if I add 2 more". I asked various math questions while I was placing the hats.




We only ever made it to 8 hats. Each time the hats would fall they got to write the number under their name. We did a few rounds and then we counted how many hats they had on their head all together. 

The boys loved this activity and thought it was a fun game. They also thought it was really cool that they were doing what they had seen on tv. Making those connections is so valuable. I know that this is an educational game we will play all summer long. 



No comments:

Post a Comment